Pens are great as personal gifts or for corporate branding, especially when given a little personal touch. But more than that, pens serve a very practical purpose, as they have throughout the aeons of human history.
Different Types of Pens
The pen was first seen in around 5000 BC and through the years has evolved into what we use today. There are various types of pens, each unique in the way it is designed to accomplish what pens do best; write. The main modern types of pens can be categorized by the kind of writing tip or point they use:
- Ballpoint Pen – uses oil based ink. A small, hard metal sphere acts as “the ball” rolling the ink on to the paper, where it dries almost immediately. Reliable and inexpensive, it has become the most common everyday writing tool
- Rollerball Pen – uses water based or gel ink, and works in a similar way to the ballpoint pen, but providing a “wet ink” effect that is more like a fountain pen
- Fountain pen – uses water based liquid ink. The ink flows from a reservoir through a “feed” to the nib, then through the nib using capillary action and gravity delivering ink through a thin slit to the writing surface
- Makers or Felt-Tip Pens – have a porous tip of fibrous material. The smallest, finest-tipped markers are used for writing on paper. Medium-tip markers are often used for coloring, while larger markers are used for writing on heavier surfaces such as cardboard or whiteboards
- Crowquill Pen – a favorite instrument of artists, because its flexible metal point can create a variety of delicate lines, textures and tones with slight pressures while drawing
Pens In History
In the past there were three main types of pens;
- Dip Pen – similar to the fountain pen, but with a wooden handle
- Quill Pen – the classic often depicted in the movies, a feather pen. The tip of the feather needing to be continually dipped into ink every few words
- Reed Pen – made from reed or bamboo with a very narrow tip, made by cutting a slit at the end. More primitive than the quill pen.
Whatever type of pen you need, you can get it here at WeWholesale. Contact us for more info and price details on our huge range of wholesale pens, and feel free to ask about our Personalised Pen designs. If you’re in need of a particular brand or style, let us know and we’ll contact our list of suppliers to find what you need.