Earrings have been one of the most popular fashion accessories worldwide. That’s why at WeWholesale we’ve put together a great selection of earrings for all, styles, colours and shapes. You don’t need to look around for wholesale earrings just sign up to our wholesale section and once you’re account is approved you can check out our current stock of earrings and if we don’t have something you’re looking for contact us and we’ll source the earrings of your choice immediately.
History of Earrings
Earrings are one of the oldest body modifications dating back to early Persia where soldiers wore earrings. It was also mentioned in the Bible and was a treasured item more than a fashion accessory. Earrings became popular in the 1920s with women and some men. Sailors would pierce their earlobes as a mark that they have sailed across the world. It was also believed that piercing the earlobes would increase eyesight and hearing.
Sailors paid for expensive earrings because they were very superstitious that if they died at sea and their bodies washed up on the shore, the person who found them would take their earrings as payment for their burial.
In early 1970s in America the trend of earrings were growing in men. It was said that “left was right” and “right was wrong.” If you pierced your right ear it would mean that you preferred the same sex (gay).
Types of Earrings
There are many types of earrings so here are the most common earrings today:
- Stud Earrings – A simple earring that has no hanging parts, just a stud that sticks into your ear.
- Hoop Earrings – Usually constructed with metal tubing and a thin wire at the end to pierce the earlobes. There are many versions of the hoop earring however its designed as a large or small ring that goes in a circle and connects through the ear.
- Dangle Earrings – This is one of the more popular types of earrings and can comes in various shapes and sizes. The earrings consist of a base and the piercing wire. The base can be of any shape or colour, and its pierced and hung from the earlobe.
- Huggy Earrings – Is designed to hug your earlobes in a tight fitting. Various shapes can be designed.
- Slave Earring (aka Bajoran) – Became popular after been seen on Star Trek. This style of earring is less popular, and connects to your ear with a piece of chain.
- Ear Thread (other names: Threader, Ear String, EarTreader) – A very thin string that passes through the earlobe and dangles. Various materials are sometimes used to decorate it.
- Ear Spikes – A spike that’s usually larger than the pierced hole. Is placed into the ear and gets wedged. A later earring fashioned by young punk rockers.
See products from the WeWholesale Fashion Accessories range:
Money Clips | Women’s Jewellery | Children’s Jewellery | Pendants | Earrings | Lapel Pins | Ties | Scarves | Socks | Underwear | Sunglasses | Braces | Cufflinks | Handbags | Backpacks | Wallets | Purses